Changes by the amendments will take effect in 2 phases
Effective September 30, 2020, employers must:
- provide domestic workers with 40 hours of paid safe and sick leave;
- allow employees to use safe and sick leave as it is accrued;
- reimburse employees who must pay for required documentation after three consecutive workdays of leave;
- list on employees’ paystubs (or any document issued each pay period) the amounts of accrued and used leave and the total balance of accrued leave.
Note: For this requirement only, employers that could not operationalize the documentation requirement by September 30, 2020 but are working in good faith on implementation will have
up to November 30, 2020 to ensure compliance without a penalty.
Effective January 1, 2021:
- Employers with 100 or more employees must provide up to 56 hours of paid leave.
- Employers with four or fewer employees and a net income of $1 million or more must provide PAID leave.